Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Stop and Smell the Roses

Example 1:
Mark: Hi, Joanne. You look a little tired. Are you OK?
Joanne: Hey, Mark. Yeah, I'm all right. I have been really busy recently. My new job is pretty demanding and I've got a few big projects to complete for school. I haven't been sleeping very well, but I'll be OK.
Mark: It's good to be busy, but make sure you stop and smell the roses! You don't want to make yourself sick. 

Example 2: 

I have a great job and it requires me to work many hours each week. Although I really enjoy my job, I have to remember to stop and smell the roses from time to time. Life isn't just about work. It's important to stop and appreciate the simple things in life.

Stop and smell the roses is a common English expression that can be used as friendly advice to someone who may be working too much or too hard.
If you take a break (stop) and enjoy the simple pleasures in life (and smell the roses), everything can be a little more enjoyable!

This idiom can be found in LSI's textbook titled "Reading Foundations"  This book is used at LSI to teach the Level 2 Reading/Vocabulary class.  For more informatioin please visit

No comments:

Post a Comment