Search This Blog

Thursday, July 5, 2012

To Fix Up

To Fix Up

Meaning: To improve the appearance or condition of something

Example 1:

Tom: It is so exhausting looking for a house. We have visited at least 10 different houses in the past two weeks and we still haven’t found one we like!

Sarah: Are you looking for a new house?

Tom: No, we don’t really have enough money to buy a new house. Instead, we are looking for an older house that we can fix up. We don’t mind doing a little work as long as the house is in a good location.

Sarah: That’s what we did when we bought our house a couple of years ago. We had such a good time fixing everything up on the weekends. We especially liked painting everything. It was a great experience for the kids because they were able to fix up their rooms in any way they wanted.

Tom: That sounds like fun! I hope we find something soon.

Sarah: I’m sure you will. Good luck!

Example 2:

Ken: Wow! That’s a really old car! What year is it?
Jack: It’s a 1967 Mustang. Isn’t it gorgeous?

Ken: Well….it’s kind of old and rusty.
Jack: You have to use your imagination! After I fix it up with a new paint job and tires, it will be as good as new. Actually, it will be better than new!

Ken: You mean that you are going to fix this old car up? That’s going to take a lot of work!
Jack: Yes, it will, but in the end I’ll have a beautiful classic car. Since I’ll spend so much time fixing it up, the car will be special. You can’t find that in any of the new cars.

Ken: I see your point. Would you like me to help you fix it up on the weekend? My dad owns a tire shop and I can get you a great deal.
Jack: Sounds good! Thank you for the offer!

To fix up means to improve the appearance or condition of something. It is usually used when talking about older things that need changing to look better, like a house or car.
This idiom can be found in the LSI textbook Speaking Transitions. This book is used at LSI schools in the level 4 Listening/Speaking classes. For more information, please visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment