Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Get your act together

Get your act together: to organize in ways necessary to achieve a goal, necessity, or responsibility.

Context #1 – Friends talking about relationships

Don: Are you seriously considering marrying your girlfriend.  I thought you said you had no job or plans for the future.
Jerrad: Well, she’s pretty great and she makes me want to be a better person.
Don: Well then, you better get your act together before her parents or friends disapprove of you.
Jerrad: I’m really trying to get my act together.  I don’t want to lose her.
Don: I hope so.  Otherwise, some other guy is going to take her from you.

Context #2 – Brother and sister talking about responsibilities in college

Kelly:  I’m glad you’re home for spring break. How’s college?
Devin: I’m not doing so well.  All the partying is keeping me from being focused.
Kelly: Hey, mom and dad are paying a lot of money for you to go to school.  You better get your act together.
Devin: I know.  I don’t want to disappoint them and I want to make sure I get a good education.

Explanation: “Get your act together” means to become responsible by taking steps in a positive/productive direction.  It means that your ideas are in many separate direction and you have to sit down, focus and complete the tasks necessary to succeed.

Visit our website: languagesystems.edu

1 comment:

1. Thanks for sharing, guys ... Much appreciated ... We've heard a more vulgar variant of this expression 'get your sh*t together' from our US contacts ... Keep up the good work ... We love you ...

Your Russian fans
    Moscow

ReplyDelete